§ 27-2.7-1 Definitions.
For purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(1) "Customer" means a person who purchases portable electronics or services;
(2) "Department" means the department of business regulation;
(3) "Enrolled customer" means a customer who elects coverage under a portable electronics insurance policy issued by a vendor of portable electronics;
(4) "Insurance commissioner" means the director of the department of business regulation or his/her designee;
(5) "Location" means any physical location in the state of Rhode Island or any website, call center site or similar location directed to residents of the state of Rhode Island;
(6) "Portable electronics" means electronic devices that are portable in nature, their accessories and services related to the use of the device;
(7)(i) "Portable electronics insurance" means insurance providing coverage for the repair or replacement of portable electronics which may provide coverage for portable electronics against any one or more of the following causes of loss: loss, theft, inoperability due to mechanical failure, malfunction, damage or other similar causes of loss.
(ii) "Portable electronics insurance" does not include:
(A) A service contract or extended warranty providing coverage limited to the repair, replacement or maintenance of property for the operational or structural failure of property due to a defect in materials, workmanship, accidental damage from handling, power surges, or normal wear and tear;
(B) A policy of insurance covering a seller's or a manufacturer's obligations under a warranty; or
(C) A homeowner's renter's, private passenger automobile, commercial multi-peril, or similar policy;
(8) "Portable electronics transaction" means:
(i) The sale or lease of portable electronics by a vendor to a customer; or
(ii) The sale of a service related to the use of portable electronics by a vendor to a customer.
(9) "Supervising entity" means a business entity that is a licensed insurer or insurance producer that is authorized by an insurer to supervise the administration of a portable electronics insurance program.
(10) "Vendor" means a person in the business of engaging in portable electronics transactions directly or indirectly.
(P.L. 2012, ch. 136, § 1; P.L. 2012, ch. 247, § 1.)