§ 27-29-2 Definitions.
When used in this chapter:
(1) "Commissioner" means director of the department of business regulation;
(2) "Consultant" means an individual, partnership, or corporation who, for a fee, holds himself or itself out to the public as engaged in the business of offering any advice, counsel, opinion, or service with respect to the benefits, advantages or disadvantages promised under any policy of insurance that could be issued in this state;
(3) "Insured" means the party named on a policy or certificate as the individuals with legal rights to the benefits provided by the policy;
(4) "Insurer" means any person, reciprocal exchange, interinsurer, Lloyds insurer, fraternal benefit society, and any other legal entity engaged in the business of insurance, including agents, brokers, insurance producers, adjusters and third party administrators. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, insurer shall also mean a nonprofit hospital and/or medical service corporation, a nonprofit dental service corporation, a nonprofit optometric service corporation, a nonprofit legal service corporation, a health maintenance organization as defined in the general laws, or any other entity providing a plan of health benefits. For the purposes of this act, the entities in this subdivision shall be deemed to be engaged in the business of insurance and subject to this chapter;
(5) "License" means any license, certificate of authority, certificate of compliance, or other formal approval or authorization granted by the department of business regulation, division of insurance;
(6) "Person" means any natural or artificial entity, including but not limited to, an individual, corporation, association, partnership, trust, or any other legal entity; and
(7) "Policy" or "certificate" means any contract of insurance, indemnity, medical, health, or hospital service, suretyship, or annuity issued, proposed for issuance, or intended for issuance by any insurer.
(P.L. 1958, ch. 53, § 2; P.L. 1993, ch. 180, § 24.)