Surplus Lines Insurance

SECTION 27-3-39

§ 27-3-39. Surplus line broker's bond.

(a) No license to act as a resident surplus line broker in this state shall be issued until a certificate of the general treasurer is deposited with the insurance commissioner on a blank furnished by the insurance commissioner, stating that the licensee has filed with the general treasurer a bond in the penal sum of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) executed by the licensee as principal and by a surety company authorized to transact business in this state as surety, and conditioned upon the licensee faithfully complying with all of the requirements of § 27-3-38.

(b) Any bond required by this section shall be continuous while the principal is licensed to act as a surplus line broker in this state; provided, that before the bond may be cancelled, the insurance commissioner must have been notified in writing by the surety of the proposed cancellation at least thirty (30) days prior to the date cancellation is to become effective; and, provided, that in the event of cancellation, any license covered by the bond shall be suspended by the insurance commissioner pending the substitution of a similar bond for the cancelled bond. The surety shall be released from further liability under any bond covering a license revoked, terminated, or expired as to any acts committed after the date that license is revoked, terminated, or expired. The aggregate liability of the surety for any and all claims or recoveries that arise under any bond shall in no event exceed the amount of the penal sum of the bond. The commissioner may promulgate standards and procedures for collecting under bonds issued pursuant to this section.

(c) Authorized surplus line agents or brokers of a licensed firm may meet the requirements of this section with a bond in the name of the licensed firm, continuous in form and in the amounts set forth in subsection (a).

History of Section.
(P.L. 1959, ch. 155, § 1; P.L. 1993, ch. 180, § 4; P.L. 1994, ch. 404, § 8; P.L. 2000, ch. 161, § 1; P.L. 2011, ch. 14, § 2; P.L. 2011, ch. 22, § 2.)