§ 27-34-10. Duties and powers of the commissioner.
(a) The commissioner shall:
(1) Notify the association of the existence of an insolvent insurer not later than three (3) days after he or she receives notice of the determination of the insolvency. The association shall be entitled to a copy of a complaint seeking an order of liquidation with a finding of insolvency against a member company at the same time that the complaint is filed with a court of competent jurisdiction; and
(2) Provide the association with a statement of the net direct written premiums of each member insurer upon request of the board of directors.
(b) The commissioner may:
(1) Suspend or revoke, after notice and hearing, the certificate of authority to transact insurance in this state of any member insurer that fails to pay an assessment when due or fails to comply with the plan of operation. As an alternative, the commissioner may levy a fine on a member insurer that fails to pay an assessment when due. The fine shall not exceed five percent (5%) of the unpaid assessment per month, except that a fine not be less than one hundred dollars ($100) per month;
(2) Revoke the designation of any servicing facility if he or she finds claims are being handled unsatisfactorily; and
(3) Examine, audit, or otherwise regulate the association.
(c) A final action or order of the commissioner under this chapter shall be subject to judicial review in a court of competent jurisdiction.
(P.L. 1988, ch. 407, § 2; P.L. 1996, ch. 188, § 14; P.L. 2010, ch. 91, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 117, § 1.)