§ 27-35-3. Registration of insurers.
(a) Registration. Every insurer which is authorized to do business in this state and which is a member of an insurance holding company system shall register with the commissioner, except a foreign insurer subject to registration requirements and standards adopted by statute or regulation in the jurisdiction of its domicile which are substantially similar to those contained in:
(1) this section;
(2) section 27-35-4(a)(1), (b) and (d) and
(3) Either subdivision 27-35-4(a)(2) or a provision such as the following: Each registered insurer shall keep current the information required to be disclosed in its registration statement by reporting all material changes or additions within fifteen (15) days after the end of the month in which it learns of each change or addition.
Any insurer which is subject to registration under this section shall register fifteen (15) days after it becomes subject to registration, and annually thereafter by May 1 of each year for the previous calendar year, unless the commissioner for good cause shown extends the time for registration, and then within the extended time. The commissioner may require any insurer authorized to do business in the state which is a member of an insurance holding company system and which is not subject to registration under this section to furnish a copy of the registration statement, the summary specified in subsection (c) of this section or other information filed by the insurance company with the insurance regulatory authority of domiciliary jurisdiction.
(b) Information and form required. Every insurer subject to registration shall file a registration statement with the commissioner on a form and in a format prescribed by the NAIC, which shall contain the following current information:
(1) The capital structure, general financial condition, ownership, and management of the insurer and any person controlling the insurer;
(2) The identity and relationship of every member of the insurance holding company system;
(3) The following agreements in force and transactions currently outstanding or which have occurred during the last calendar year between the insurer and its affiliates:
(i) Loans, other investments or purchases, sales or exchanges of securities of the affiliates by the insurer or of the insurer by its affiliates;
(ii) Purchases, sales, or exchanges of assets;
(iii) Transactions not in the ordinary course of business;
(iv) Guarantees or undertakings for the benefit of an affiliate which result in an actual contingent exposure of the insurer's assets to liability, other than insurance contracts entered into in the ordinary course of the insurer's business;
(v) All management service contracts, service contracts and all cost sharing arrangements;
(vi) Reinsurance agreements;
(vii) Dividends and other distributions to shareholders; and
(viii) Consolidated tax allocation agreements;
(4) Any pledge of the insurer's stock, including stock of any subsidiary or controlling affiliate, for a loan made to any member of the insurance holding company system;
(5) If requested by the commissioner, the insurer shall include financial statements of or within an insurance holding company system, including all affiliates. Financial statements may include, but are not limited to, annual audited financial statements filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) pursuant to the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, or the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. An insurer required to file financial statements pursuant to this paragraph may satisfy the request by providing the commissioner with the most recently filed parent corporation financial statements that have been filed with the SEC;
(6) Other matters concerning transactions between registered insurers and any affiliates as may be included from time to time in any registration forms adopted or approved by the commissioner;
(7) Statements that the insurer's board of directors oversees corporate governance and internal controls and that the insurer's officers or senior management have approved, implemented, and continue to maintain and monitor corporate governance and internal control procedures; and
(8) Any other information required by the commissioner by rule or regulation.
(c) Summary of Changes to Registration Statement. All registration statements shall contain a summary outlining all items in the current registration statement representing changes from the prior registration statement.
(d) Materiality. No information need be disclosed on the registration statement filed pursuant to subsection (b) of this section if that information is not material for the purposes of this section. Unless the commissioner by rule, regulation, or order provides otherwise, sales, purchases, exchanges, loans, or extensions of credit, investments or guarantees involving one-half of one percent (.5%) or less of an insurer's admitted assets as of the 31st day of December next preceding shall not be deemed material for purposes of this section.
(e) Reporting of Dividends to Shareholders. Subject to subsection 27-35-4(b), each registered insurer shall report to the commissioner all dividends and other distributions to shareholders within fifteen (15) business days following the declaration thereof.
(f) Information of Insurers. Any person within an insurance holding company system subject to registration shall be required to provide complete and accurate information to an insurer, where the information is reasonably necessary to enable the insurer to comply with the provisions of this act.
(g) Termination of registration. The commissioner shall terminate the registration of any insurer that demonstrates that it no longer is a member of an insurance holding company system.
(h) Consolidated filing. The commissioner may require or allow two (2) or more affiliated insurers subject to registration to file a consolidated registration statement.
(i) Alternative registration. The commissioner may allow an insurer that is authorized to do business in this state and which is part of an insurance holding company system to register on behalf of any affiliated insurer which is required to register under subsection (a) and to file all information and material required to be filed under this section.
(j) Exemptions. The provisions of this section shall not apply to any insurer, information, or transaction if and to the extent that the commissioner by rule, regulation, or order shall exempt from the provisions of this section.
(k) Disclaimer. Any person may file with commissioner a disclaimer of affiliation with any authorized insurer or a disclaimer may be filed by the insurer or any member of an insurance holding company system. The disclaimer shall fully disclose all material relationships and bases for affiliation between the person and the insurer as well as the basis for disclaiming the affiliation.
A disclaimer of affiliation shall be deemed to have been granted unless the commissioner, within thirty (30) days following receipt of a complete disclaimer, notifies the filing party that the disclaimer is disallowed. In the event of disallowance, the disclaiming party may request an administrative hearing, which shall be granted. The disclaiming party shall be relieved of its duty to register under this section if approval of the disclaimer has been granted by the commissioner, or if the disclaimer is deemed to have been approved.
(l) Enterprise Risk Filing. The ultimate controlling person of every insurer subject to registration shall also file an annual enterprise risk report. The report shall, to the best of the ultimate controlling person's knowledge and belief, identify the material risks within the insurance holding company system that could pose enterprise risk to the insurer. The report shall be filed with the lead state commissioner of the insurance holding company system as determined by the procedures within the financial analysis handbook adopted by the national association of insurance commissioners.
The failure to file a registration statement or any summary of the registration statement or enterprise risk filing required by this section within the time specified for the filing shall be a violation of this section.
(P.L. 1971, ch. 273, § 1; P.L. 1993, ch. 180, § 31; P.L. 1996, ch. 188, § 15; P.L. 1999, ch. 141, § 2; P.L. 2002, ch. 292, § 80; P.L. 2010, ch. 55, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 70, § 1; P.L. 2011, ch. 15, § 2; P.L. 2011, ch. 26, § 2; P.L. 2013, ch. 18, § 2; P.L. 2013, ch. 21, § 2.)