§ 27-46-8. Notice and registration requirements of purchasing groups.
(a) A purchasing group which intends to do business in this state shall, prior to doing business, furnish notice to the commissioner which shall:
(1) Identify the state in which the group is domiciled;
(2) Identify all other states in which the group intends to do business;
(3) Specify the lines and classifications of liability insurance that the purchasing group intends to purchase;
(4) Identify the insurance company or companies from which the group intends to purchase its insurance and the domicile of the company;
(5) Specify the method by which, and the person or persons, if any, through whom insurance will be offered to its members whose risks are resident or located in this state;
(6) Identify the principal place of business of the group; and
(7) Provide any other information that may be required by the commissioner to verify that the purchasing group is qualified under § 27-46-2(10).
(b) A purchasing group shall, within ten (10) days, notify the commissioner of any changes in any of the items set forth in subsection (a) of this section.
(c) The purchasing group shall register with and designate the commissioner as its agent solely for the purpose of receiving service of legal documents or process, for which a filing fee shall be determined by the commissioner, except that these requirements shall not apply in the case of a purchasing group which only purchases insurance that was authorized under the federal Products Liability Risk Retention Act of 1981, 15 U.S.C. § 3901 et seq., and:
(1) Which in any state of the United States:
(i) Was domiciled before April 1, 1986; and
(ii) Is domiciled on and after October 27, 1986;
(i) Before October 27, 1986 purchased insurance from an insurance carrier licensed in any state; and
(ii) Since October 27, 1986 purchased its insurance from an insurance carrier licensed in any state; or
(3) Which was a purchasing group under the requirements of 15 U.S.C. § 3901 et seq. before October 27, 1986.
(d) Each purchasing group that is required to give notice pursuant to subsection (a) shall also furnish the information that may be required by the commissioner to:
(1) Verify that the entity qualifies as a purchasing group;
(2) Determine where the purchasing group is located; and
(3) Determine appropriate tax treatment.
(P.L. 1991, ch. 348, § 1; P.L. 2002, ch. 292, § 88.)