§ 27-50-8 Certification of creditable coverage.
(a) Small employer carriers shall provide written certification of creditable coverage to individuals in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.
(b) The certification of creditable coverage shall be provided:
(1) At the time an individual ceases to be covered under the health benefit plan or otherwise becomes covered under a COBRA continuation provision;
(2) In the case of an individual who becomes covered under a COBRA continuation provision, at the time the individual ceases to be covered under that provision; and
(3) At the time a request is made on behalf of an individual if the request is made not later than twenty-four (24) months after the date of cessation of coverage described in subdivision (1) or (2) of this subsection, whichever is later.
(c) Small employer carriers may provide the certification of creditable coverage required under subdivision (b)(1) of this section at a time consistent with notices required under any applicable COBRA continuation provision.
(d) The certificate of creditable coverage required to be provided pursuant to subsection (a) shall contain:
(1) Written certification of the period of creditable coverage of the individual under the health benefit plan and the coverage, if any, under the applicable COBRA continuation provision; and
(2) The waiting period, if any, and, if applicable, affiliation period imposed with respect to the individual for any coverage under the health benefit plan.
(e) To the extent medical care under a group health plan consists of group health insurance coverage, the plan is deemed to have satisfied the certification requirement under subsection (a) of this section if the carrier offering the coverage provides for certification in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.
(f)(1) If an individual enrolls in a group health plan that uses the alternative method of counting creditable coverage pursuant to § 27-50-7(c)(3) of this act and the individual provides a certificate of coverage that was provided to the individual pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, on request of the group health plan, the entity that issued the certification to the individual promptly shall disclose to the group health plan information on the classes and categories of health benefits available under the entity's health benefit plan.
(2) The entity providing the information pursuant to subdivision (1) of this subsection may charge the requesting group health plan the reasonable cost of disclosing the information.
(P.L. 2000, ch. 200, § 9; P.L. 2000, ch. 229, § 10.)