§ 27-53.1-2 Scope.
(a) This chapter applies to any insurer authorized in this state which either assumes or transfers the obligations and/or risks on contracts of insurance pursuant to an assumption reinsurance agreement.
(b) This chapter does not apply to:
(1) Any reinsurance agreement or transaction in which the ceding insurer continues to remain directly liable for its insurance obligations and/or risks under the contracts of insurance subject to the reinsurance agreement;
(2) The substitution of one insurer for another upon the expiration of insurance coverage pursuant to statutory or contractual requirements and the issuance of a new contract of insurance by another insurer;
(3) The transfer of contracts of insurance pursuant to mergers or consolidations of two (2) or more insurers to the extent that those transactions are regulated by statute;
(4) Any insurer subject to a judicial order of liquidation or rehabilitation;
(5) Any reinsurance agreement or transaction to which a state insurance guaranty association is a party, provided that policyholders do not lose any rights or claims afforded under their original policies pursuant to chapters 34, 34.1 and 34.3 of this title;
(6) The transfer of liabilities from one insurer to another under a single group policy upon the request of the group policyholder; or
(7) The transfer of liabilities from one insurer to another under chapter 14.5 of this title.
(P.L. 1996, ch. 188, § 21; P.L. 2002, ch. 381, § 2.)