§ 27-60-2. Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) "Abuse" means the occurrence of one or more of the following acts:
(i) Attempting to cause or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing another person, including a minor child, bodily injury, physical harm, severe emotional distress, psychological trauma, rape, sexual assault or involuntary sexual intercourse;
(ii) Knowingly engaging in a course of conduct or repeatedly committing acts toward another person, including a minor child, including following the person or minor child without proper authority, under circumstances that place the person or minor child in reasonable fear of bodily injury or physical harm;
(iii) Subjecting another person, including a minor child, to false imprisonment; or
(iv) Attempting to cause or intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing damage to property so as to intimidate or attempt to control the behavior of another person, including a minor child.
(2) "Abuse-related medical condition" means a medical condition sustained by a subject of abuse which arises in whole or part out of an act or pattern of abuse.
(3) "Abuse status" means the fact or perception that a person is, has been, or may be a subject of abuse, irrespective of whether the person has sustained abuse-related medical conditions.
(4) "Commissioner" means the director of the department of business regulation.
(5) "Health benefit plan" or "plan" means a policy, contract, certificate or agreement offered by a carrier to provide, deliver, arrange for, pay for or reimburse any of the costs of health care services. Health benefit plan includes accident only, credit health, dental, vision, Medicare supplement or long-term care insurance, coverage issued as a supplement to liability insurance, short-term and catastrophic health insurance policies, and a policy that pays on a cost-incurred basis. Health benefit plan does not include workers' compensation or similar insurance.
(6) "Health carrier" means an entity subject to the insurance laws and regulations of this state, or subject to the jurisdiction of the commissioner, that contracts or offers to contract to provide, deliver, arrange for, pay for or reimburse any of the costs of health care services, including a sickness and accident insurance company, a health maintenance organization, a nonprofit hospital and health service corporation or any other entity providing a plan of health insurance, health benefits or health services.
(7) "Insured" means a party named on a health benefit plan as the person with legal rights to the benefits provided by the health benefit plan. For group plans, "insured" includes a person who is a beneficiary covered by a group health benefit plan.
(8) "Subject of abuse" means a person to whom a family member, or a current or former household member, intimate partner, or caretaker, or a perpetrator of sexual assault, a stalker or a sex offender has directed an act defined in subdivision (1) of this section; who has current or prior injuries, illnesses or disorders that resulted from abuse; or who seeks, may have sought or had reason to seek medical or psychological treatment for abuse or protection, court-ordered protection or shelter from abuse.
(P.L. 1997, ch. 163, § 1.)