§ 27-79-3. Requirements.
(a) A travel retailer may offer and disseminate travel insurance only if the limited lines travel insurance producer complies with the following:
(1) The limited lines travel insurance producer or travel retailer provides to purchasers of travel insurance:
(i) A description of the material terms or the actual material terms of the insurance coverage;
(ii) A description of the process for filing a claim;
(iii) A description of the review or cancellation process for the travel insurance policy; and
(iv) The identity and contact information of the insurer and limited lines travel insurance producer.
(2) At the time of licensure, the limited lines travel insurance producer shall establish and maintain a register of each travel retailer that offers travel insurance on the limited lines travel insurance producer's behalf. The register shall be maintained and updated by the limited lines travel insurance producer and shall include the name, address, and contact information of the travel retailer and an officer or person who directs or controls the travel retailer's operations, and the travel retailer's federal employment identification number. The limited lines travel insurance producer shall submit such register to the state insurance department upon reasonable request. The limited lines travel insurance producer shall also certify that the travel retailer registered complies with applicable federal law.
(3) The limited lines travel insurance producer is responsible for compliance with the travel insurance laws, rules and regulations of the state.
(4) The limited lines travel insurance producer has paid all applicable insurance producer licensing fees.
(5) The limited lines travel insurance producer requires each employee of the travel retailer whose duties include offering and disseminating travel insurance to receive a program of instruction or training, which may be subject to review by the commissioner. The training material shall, at a minimum, contain instructions on the types of insurance offered, ethical sales practices, and required disclosures to prospective customers.
(b) Any travel retailer offering or disseminating travel insurance shall make available to prospective purchasers brochures or other written materials that:
(1) Provide the identity and contact information of the insurer and the limited lines travel insurance producer;
(2) Explain that the purchase of travel insurance is not required in order to purchase any other product or service from the travel retailer; and
(3) Explain that an unlicensed travel retailer is permitted to provide general information about the insurance offered by the travel insurance producer or insurer, including a description of the coverage and price, but is not qualified or authorized to answer technical questions about the terms and conditions of the insurance offered by the travel retailer or to evaluate the adequacy of the customer's existing insurance coverage.
(c) A travel retailer who is not licensed as an insurance producer may not:
(1) Evaluate or interpret the technical terms, benefits, and conditions of the offered travel insurance coverage;
(2) Evaluate or provide advice concerning a prospective purchaser's existing insurance coverage; or
(3) Hold himself/herself or itself out as a licensed insurer, licensed producer, or insurance expert.
(P.L. 2013, ch. 315, § 1; P.L. 2013, ch. 410, § 1.)