§ 27-8.1-2. Definitions.
(a) "Action" includes nonaction, inaction, or failure to take action.
(b) "Authorized agency" means:
(1) The state fire marshal, deputy fire marshal, or assistant deputy fire marshals;
(2) The superintendent of state police, or principal investigating officer of the state police;
(3) The attorney general or assistant attorneys general;
(4) The chief, deputy chief, or principal investigating officer of the police department of the city or town where a fire occurs;
(5) The chief, deputy chief, or principal investigating officer of the fire department of the city or town or fire district where a fire occurs;
(6) The federal bureau of investigation or any comparable federal investigatory agency; or
(7) The United States attorney or assistant district attorneys for the district where a fire occurs.
(c) "Deemed crucial" means determined by an authorized agency acting within its sole discretion to be decisive or critical to an investigation and/or prosecution by that agency.
(d) "Immune" means that neither a civil action nor a criminal prosecution may be maintained or instituted by virtue of any action taken pursuant to § 27-8.1-3, 27-8.1-4, or 27-8.1-5, or any other provision of this chapter, in the absence of actual malice on the part of the insurer, lending institution, party in interest, or authorized agency, against the insured.
(e) "Insurer" means any insurance company incorporated by or under the laws of this state, and any foreign insurance company admitted to do business in this state, which issues fire insurance coverage on real or personal property risks located within the state.
(f) "Lending institution" means any corporation incorporated by or under the law of this state and any foreign corporation admitted to do business in this state which makes any loan which is secured in whole or in part by a mortgage upon any interest in real property located in this state.
(g) "Party in interest" means any person, firm, association, corporation, or other association of persons engaged:
(1) In any phase of the business of fire coverage which is subject to the regulatory authority of the department of business regulation or the appropriate regulatory division of the department; or
(2) In any phase of the business of making loans in association with, on behalf of, or in conjunction with a lending institution.
(h) "Relevant" means having a propensity or tendency to make the existence of any fact, which is of consequence to the investigation or determination of an issue, more probable or less probable than in the absence of that information.
(P.L. 1978, ch. 328, § 1; P.L. 1979, ch. 392, § 1; P.L. 1988, ch. 309, § 2; P.L. 1989, ch. 542, § 77.)