§ 27-9.1-2. Definitions.
When used in this chapter:
(1) "Director" means the director of business regulation;
(2) "Insured" means the party named on a policy or certificate as the individual with legal rights to the benefits provided by the policy;
(3) "Insurer" means any person, reciprocal exchange, inter-insurer, Lloyds insurer, fraternal benefit society, and any other legal entity engaged in the business of insurance, including insurance producers, adjusters and third party administrators. Insurer shall also mean a nonprofit hospital and/or medical service corporation, a nonprofit dental service corporation, a nonprofit optometric service corporation, a nonprofit legal service corporation, a health maintenance organization as defined in chapter 41 of this title or as defined in chapter 62 of title 42, or any other entity providing a plan of health benefits subject to state insurance regulation. Notwithstanding §§ 27-19-2, 27-20-2, 27-20.1-2, 27-20.2-2, 27-20.3-2, and 27-41-22, for purposes of this chapter, these entities shall be deemed to be engaged in the business of insurance;
(4) "Person" means any natural or artificial entity, including, but not limited to, individuals, partnerships, associations, trusts, or corporations; and
(5) "Policy" or "certificate" means any contract of insurance, indemnity, medical, health or hospital service, or annuity issued. "Policy" or "certificate" for the purposes of this chapter shall not mean contracts or workers' compensation, fidelity, suretyship or boiler and machinery insurance.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 37, § 1; P.L. 1993, ch. 227, § 1.)