§ 28-14-10. Wage deductions unaffected.
(a) None of the sections of this chapter shall be applicable to, control, or prohibit the deduction from wages of an employee by an employer in accordance with the terms of a collective bargaining agent of a majority of the employees in a bargaining unit of employees in which the employee is employed; provided, that the amount deducted from the wages of the employee is to be: (1) used for the purpose of defraying the costs of legal services, counsel fees, or contribution to a prepaid legal services plan for those employees, their families, and their dependents, or (2) paid to pension, welfare, vacation, or annuity plans or an insurance plan for accident, health, disability, or life coverage or similar plans, complete provisions for which are contained in a collective bargaining agreement or a supplemental agreement as provided in them between the employer and the authorized bargaining agent of the employees and those plans are for the benefit of employees, their dependents, and beneficiaries in the bargaining unit, including full-time employees of the labor organization, provided it shall make the same payment for its employees to that plan or plans.
(b) None of the sections of this chapter shall be applicable to, control, or prohibit the deduction from wages of an employee by an employer in accordance with a written request made by the individual employee of:
(1) Trade union or craft dues or other obligations imposed by a collective bargaining contract;
(2) Subscriptions to a nonprofit hospital service corporation or nonprofit medical and/or surgical service corporation;
(3) Contributions to or for the use of a religious, charitable, scientific, literary, or educational corporation, trust, community chest fund, or foundation;
(4) Payments for the purpose of purchasing obligations of the United States or stock of a corporation pursuant to an employee stock purchase plan;
(5) Contributions to a pension plan in which the employee is a participant not required by a collective bargaining agreement entered into between the authorized collective bargaining representative of an employee and his or her employer;
(6) Contributions to or for insurance or under an insurance plan for accident, health, or life coverage not required by a collective bargaining agreement entered into between the authorized collective bargaining representative of an employee and his or her employer;
(7) Amounts to be credited to a share, deposit, or loan account in any credit union;
(8) Contributions, subscriptions, or payments of a similar nature not connected with past or present indebtedness; or
(9) Payments for participation in a vanpool transportation system where employee participation in the program is not a condition of employment.
(P.L. 1941, ch. 1069, § 5A; P.L. 1950, ch. 2630, § 1; P.L. 1954, ch. 3273, § 1; G.L. 1956, § 28-14-10; P.L. 1972, ch. 206, § 1; P.L. 1974, ch. 189, § 1; P.L. 1980, ch. 129, § 1.)