Alcoholic Beverages

Penalties and Liabilities

SECTION 3-11-2

§ 3-11-2. Habitually intemperate persons – Notice by family or employer – Liability of notified persons.

The husband, wife, parent, child, guardian, or employer of any person who has the habit of drinking intoxicating beverages to excess may give notice, in writing, signed by him or her, to any person requesting him or her not to sell or deliver intoxicating beverage to the person having that habit. If the person, so notified, at any time within twelve (12) months sells or delivers any intoxicating beverage to the person having that habit, or permits that person to loiter on his or her premises, the person giving the notice may in a civil action recover from the person notified any sum as may be assessed as damages; provided, the employer giving the notice shall be injured in his or her person, business or property. A married person may bring the action in his or her own name, and all damages recovered by him or her shall enure to his or her separate use. In case of the death of either party, the action and right of action shall survive to or against the executor or administrator.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1933, ch. 2013, § 70; G.L. 1938, ch. 168, § 2; G.L. 1956, § 3-11-2; P.L. 1998, ch. 441, § 9.)