§ 30-22-6. Domestic partner defined.
For purposes of this chapter, "domestic partner" shall be defined as a person who, prior to the decedent's death, was in an exclusive, intimate, and committed relationship with the decedent, and who certifies, by affidavit, that their relationship met the following qualifications:
(1) Both partners were at least eighteen (18) years of age and were mentally competent to contract;
(2) Neither partner was married to anyone else;
(3) Partners were not related by blood to a degree that would prohibit marriage in the state of Rhode Island;
(4) Partners resided together and had resided together for at least one year at the time of death; and
(5) Partners were financially interdependent as evidenced by at least two (2) of the following:
(i) Domestic partnership agreement or relationship contract;
(ii) Joint mortgage or joint ownership of primary residence;
(iii) Two (2) of: (A) joint ownership of motor vehicle; (B) joint checking account; (C) joint credit account; (D) joint lease; and/or
(iv) The domestic partner had been designated as a beneficiary for the decedent's will, retirement contract, or life insurance.
(P.L. 2007, ch. 510, § 10; P.L. 2016, ch. 511, art. 2, § 44.)