§ 31-23.2-6. Transfer of vehicle.
(a) Any sales agreement for the transfer of a motor vehicle between persons as defined in this chapter shall contain the words "both buyer and seller have examined the title certificate of this motor vehicle and it correctly reflects the mileage as it appears on the odometer" which shall be placed conspicuously and prominently on the agreement.
(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to transfer ownership of a motor vehicle previously registered in this state or a motor vehicle used by a dealer as a demonstrator unless the person:
(1) Enters on a form prescribed by the department of revenue, as prescribed by state law, the mileage the motor vehicle has been operated. The form shall be signed by both the seller and buyer and contain a statement that both parties have viewed the odometer of the motor vehicle. The form as completed shall then be attached to the instrument evidencing transfer of ownership; or
(2) Enters upon the form "not actual mileage" in the event that the odometer mileage is known to the person to be less than the motor vehicle has actually traveled; or
(3) Enters the total cumulative mileage on the form in the event that it is known that the mileage indicated on the odometer is beyond its designated mechanical limits;
(4) Enters the same information as set forth in subdivisions (1) through (3) of this subsection on the owner's title certificate; and
(5) The owner of a motor vehicle shall supply its mileage upon the annual renewal registration form supplied by the division of motor vehicles.
(c) It shall be a violation of this chapter for any person to give a false statement to a transferee under the provisions of this section; provided, however, that no person shall be in violation of this chapter where a vehicle has been resold in reliance on the required statement of the prior owner made pursuant to this section.
(d) No motor vehicle, previously registered in another state, shall be registered for use in this state unless the application for a certificate of title in Rhode Island is accompanied by the prior owner's certificate of title and a form as set forth in subdivision (b)(1) of this section.
(e) The certificate of title of the motor vehicle issued to the new owner by the state of Rhode Island shall:
(1) Be printed using a process determined by the director to be the most efficient and effective means of avoiding unauthorized duplication;
(2) Indicate on its face the mileage required to be disclosed by the transferor under subsections (b)(1) and (d) of this section; and
(3) Contains a space for the transferee to disclose the mileage at the time of any future transfer and to sign and date the disclosure.
(f) No registration card may be issued in this state for any motor vehicle unless:
(1) The application for the registration card contains the prior owner's most recent registration card and the prior owner's title; and
(2) The new registration card contains such information as provided on the application.
(P.L. 1972, ch. 14, § 1; P.L. 1985, ch. 392, § 1; P.L. 1987, ch. 47, § 1; P.L. 1988, ch. 194, § 1; P.L. 1990, ch. 495, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 98, § 21; P.L. 2008, ch. 145, § 21.)