Motor and Other Vehicles

Size, Weight, and Load Limits

SECTION 31-25-22

§ 31-25-22. Application for excess load permit.

(a) The application for an excess load permit pursuant to § 31-25-21 shall specifically describe the vehicle or vehicles and load to be operated or moved, and the particular highways for which the permit to operate is requested and whether the permit is requested for a single trip or for continuous operation.

(b) For continuous operation of divisible loads, specifically described vehicle or vehicles must be certified originally by the manufacturer of them to possess the braking and carrying capacity for the weight specified on the application.

(c) Upon approval of the application or renewal of divisible load permits, the department of revenue shall provide identification devices to be placed on the lower left corner of the driver's side of the windshield for trucks and tractors and on the front left corner of the driver's side for trailers.

(d) Any motor carrier that has been granted a divisible load permit and has not displayed a sticker as required in subsection (c) of this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding fifty dollars ($50.00) for the first offense or not exceeding one hundred dollars ($100) for subsequent offenses.

(e) Divisible load permit fees for Rhode Island registered vehicles are reflected in the registration fee as enumerated in § 31-6-1(a)(2).

(f) Divisible load permit fees for out-of-state registered vehicles are as follows:

Trailers $100 flat fee

2, 3, or 4 axle trucks $50.00 per 1,000 pounds over legal limit

maximum $1,500 for 76,650 pounds

Tractors $50.00 per 1,000 over legal limit

maximum $1,250 for 104,800 pounds.

Transfer fee $10.00

(g) For the purpose of this section, the "legal limit" is defined as the maximum weight as calculated by the Bridge Formula.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1950, ch. 2595, art. 35, § 11; G.L. 1956, § 31-25-22; P.L. 1983, ch. 213, § 1; P.L. 1992, ch. 147, § 1; P.L. 1993, ch. 138, art. 85, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 98, § 22; P.L. 2008, ch. 145, § 22.)