Motor and Other Vehicles

Safety Responsibility Administration – Security Following Accident

SECTION 31-31-2

§ 31-31-2. Appeals from division of motor vehicles.

Any person aggrieved by any decision, or order, of the division of motor vehicles, made pursuant to the provisions of chapters 31 – 33 of this title may appeal it to the traffic tribunal by filing, within ten (10) days from the date of the notice to the person of the issuance of the decision, or order, appealed from, a petition in that court stating the ground upon which the appeal is taken. Upon the filing of the petition, the court shall give thirty (30) days' notice of the pendency of it to the division of motor vehicles by serving the administrator of the division of motor vehicles, in the manner in which subpoenas in equity are served, with a certified copy of the petition and the petition shall follow the course of equity so far as is applicable. Upon hearing the petition the court may review the evidence taken at a hearing, or investigator's reports, or other information upon which the division's action was taken and may, in its discretion, affirm or reverse or modify the decision or order, of the division of motor vehicles in whole or in part. The court shall determine whether the filing of the petition shall operate as a stay of the order or act of the administrator of the division of motor vehicles. A party aggrieved by a final order of the court may seek appellate review of it pursuant to the procedures set forth in § 31-41.1-8.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 4, § 2; P.L. 1993, ch. 142, § 1; P.L. 1994, ch. 332, § 1.)