§ 31-47.1-5 Exemptions.
The following motor vehicles shall be exempt from the requirements of this chapter:
(1) A motor vehicle twenty-five (25) years or older.
(2) Any class of motor vehicles that is exempted by regulation of the department because the vehicle presents prohibitive inspection problems or is inappropriate for inspection.
(3) Motor vehicles operated exclusively by electric power.
(4) New motor vehicles until twenty-four (24) months after their date of purchase or twenty-four thousand (24,000) miles, whichever occurs first.
(5) Motor vehicles that are in compliance with an enhanced motor vehicle inspection program operated by another jurisdiction may be exempt upon the owner providing a current written certification of compliance, if the inspection program in that jurisdiction is approved by the United States environmental protection agency.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 254, § 1; P.L. 1997, ch. 65, § 2; P.L. 1998, ch. 327, § 1.)