§ 31-47.3-1.1 Purpose.
This act shall be known and may be cited as "An Act Concerning Government Responsibility To Protect Public Health From Diesel Pollution." The general purposes of this act are to:
(1) Minimize human exposure to and health risks from diesel pollution;
(2) Reduce health costs, missed school days, lost worker productivity and premature mortality linked to exposure to the diesel particulate matter (PM) and other diesel pollutants;
(3) Achieve maximum feasible diesel particulate matter emissions reductions and diminished human exposure that is additional to the impact of federal diesel emission rules, which focus mostly on new engines;
(4) Advance the state's climate protection goals and climate action plan by reducing the amount of black carbon pollution emitted by diesels; and
(5) Achieve health benefits for Rhode Island by ensuring state contracting and leasing takes advantage of retrofits that are occurring in the marketplace.
(P.L. 2010, ch. 171, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 184, § 1.)