§ 31-47.4-2. Program creation Administration Selection of designated agent Duties Rulemaking Audits.
(a) There is hereby created the Uninsured Motorist Identification Database Program to:
(1) Establish an Uninsured Motorist Identification Database to verify compliance with motor vehicle owner's or operator's security requirements under chapter 31-47 and other provisions under this chapter, and;
(2) Assist in reducing the number of uninsured motor vehicles on the highways of the state;
(b) The program shall be administered by the division of motor vehicles with the assistance of the designated agent.
(c) The program will be funded by a percentage of the reinstatement fees collected pursuant to this chapter. The percentage of the reinstatement fee that will be provided to the designated agent will be determined by the division of motor vehicles. These fees will be maintained in the uninsured motorist identification restricted account.
(d)(1) The division of motor vehicles shall contract with a third party to establish and maintain an Uninsured Motorist Identification Database for the purposes established under this chapter.
(2) The contract may not obligate the department to pay the third party more money than is available in the account.
(e)(1) The third party under contract under this section is the department's designated agent, and shall develop and maintain a computer database from the information provided by:
(i) Automobile liability insurers under § 31-47.4-3; and
(ii) The division of motor vehicles.
(2) The database shall be developed and maintained by the designated agent in accordance with guidelines established by the division of motor vehicles so that state and local law enforcement agencies can efficiently access the records of the database, including reports useful for the implementation of the provisions of this chapter.
(i) The reports provided by the designated agent shall be in a form and contain information approved by the division of motor vehicles.
(ii) The reports may be made available through the Internet or through other electronic medium, if the division of motor vehicles determines that sufficient security is provided to ensure compliance regarding limitations on disclosure of information in the database.
(f) With information provided by the division of motor vehicles, the designated agent shall, at least monthly, for submissions under subsection 31-47.4-3:
(1) Update the database with the motor vehicle insurance information provided by the insurers in accordance with § 31-47.4-3; and
(2) Compare all current motor vehicle registrations against the database.
(g) The division shall provide the designated agent with the name, date of birth, address, and driver license number, if available, of all persons having active registrations. The division shall also provide the make, year and vehicle identification number for all active registrations.
(h) In accordance with chapter 42-35, "The Administrative Procedures Act," the division of motor vehicles shall make rules and develop procedures to use the database for the purpose of administering and enforcing this chapter.
(i) The designated agent shall archive computer data files at least semi-annually for auditing purposes.
(2) The internal audit unit of the department of administration shall audit the program at least every three (3) years.
(3) The audit under subdivision (h)(2) shall include verification of:
(i) Billings made by the designated agent; and
(ii) The accuracy of the designated agent's matching of vehicle registration with insurance data.
(P.L. 2013, ch. 316, § 1; P.L. 2013, ch. 372, § 1.)