§ 31-5.4-1 Sale of used motor vehicles Definitions.
As used in this chapter, the following words have the following meanings:
(1) "Consumer" means the purchaser, other than for purposes of resale, of a used motor vehicle normally used for personal, family, or household purposes and subject to a warranty, and the spouse or child of the purchaser if the motor vehicle is transferred to the spouse or child during the duration of any warranty applicable to the motor vehicle, and any other person entitled by the terms of such warranty to enforce the obligations of the warranty;
(2) "Dealer" means any person or business which sells or offers for sale a used vehicle after selling or offering for sale three (3) or more used vehicles in the previous twelve (12) month period, but does not include a bank or financial institution, a business selling a used vehicle to an employee of that business, a lessor selling a leased vehicle to that vehicle's lessee, a family member of the lessee, or an employee of the lessee, or the state, its agencies, bureaus, boards, commissions, and authorities, and all of the political subdivisions of the state, including the agencies and authorities of any subdivision;
(3) "Repair insurance" means a contract in writing for any period of time or any specific mileage to refund, repair, replace, maintain, or take other action with respect to a used motor vehicle and which is regulated by the department of business regulation;
(4) "Service contract" means a contract in writing for any period of time or any specific mileage to refund, repair, replace, maintain, or take other action with respect to a used motor vehicle and provided at an extra charge beyond the price of the used motor vehicle;
(5) "Used motor vehicle" means a passenger motor vehicle, excluding motorcycles, motor homes, and off-road vehicles, which has been driven more than the limited use necessary in moving or road-testing a new vehicle prior to delivery;
(6) "Warranty" means any undertaking in connection with the sale by a dealer of a used motor vehicle to refund, repair, replace, maintain, or take other action with respect to the used motor vehicle and provided at no extra charge beyond the price of the used motor vehicle.
(P.L. 1985, ch. 342, § 1.)