§ 31-5.4-2 Written warranty required Terms.
(a) No dealer shall sell a used motor vehicle to a consumer without giving the consumer a written warranty which shall at minimum apply for the following terms:
(1) If the used motor vehicle has thirty-six thousand (36,000) miles or less, the warranty shall be at a minimum of sixty (60) days or three thousand (3,000) miles, whichever comes first.
(2) If the used motor vehicle has more than thirty-six thousand (36,000) miles, but not more than one hundred thousand (100,000) miles, the warranty shall be at a minimum of thirty (30) days or one thousand (1,000) miles, whichever comes first.
(b) The written warranty shall require the dealer or his or her agent to repair or, at the election of the dealer, reimburse the consumer for the reasonable cost of repairing the failure of a covered part. Covered parts shall at least include the following items:
(1) Engine. All lubricated parts, water pump, fuel pump, manifolds, engine block, cylinder head, rotary engine housings, and flywheel.
(2) Transmission. The transmission case, internal parts, and the torque converter.
(3) Drive axle. Front and rear drive axle housings and internal parts, axle shafts, propeller shafts, and universal joints.
(4) Brakes. Master cylinder, vacuum assist booster, wheel cylinders, hydraulic lines and fittings, and disc brake calipers.
(6) Steering. The steering gear housing and all internal parts, and the power steering pump, valve body, piston, and rack.
(7) The alternator, generator, starter, and ignition system, excluding the battery.
(c) Any required repair or reimbursement shall be made by the dealer notwithstanding the fact that the warranty period has expired, provided the consumer notifies the dealer of the failure of a covered part within the specified warranty period.
(d) If a new car warranty is in effect at the time of the sale of the used motor vehicle, then the warranty specified in this section shall be required only for the period of time, if any, between the expiration of the new car warranty and the period specified in subsection (a) of this section.
(e) The written warranty may contain additional language excluding coverage:
(1) For a failure of a covered part caused by a lack of customary maintenance;
(2) For a failure of a covered part caused by collision, abuse, negligence, theft, vandalism, fire, or other casualty and damage from the environment (windstorm, lightning, road hazards, etc.);
(3) If the odometer has been stopped or altered so that the vehicle's actual mileage cannot be readily determined or if any covered part has been altered so that a covered part was thereby caused to fail;
(4) For maintenance services and the parts used in connection with those services such as seals, gaskets, oil, or grease unless required in connection with the repair of a covered part;
(5) For a motor tune-up;
(6) For a failure resulting from racing or other competition;
(7) For a failure caused by towing a trailer or another vehicle unless the used motor vehicle is equipped for this as recommended by the manufacturer;
(8) If the used motor vehicle is used to carry passengers for hire;
(9) If the used motor vehicle is rented to someone else;
(10) For repair of valves and/or rings to correct low compression and/or oil consumption which are considered normal wear;
(11) To the extent otherwise permitted by law, for property damage arising or allegedly arising out of the failure of a covered part; and
(12) To the extent otherwise permitted by law, for loss of the use of the used motor vehicle, loss of time, inconvenience, commercial loss, or consequential damages.
(P.L. 1985, ch. 342, § 1.)