§ 31-51-3 Procedure Notice.
(a) Except as expressly provided in this chapter, all prosecutions based on evidence produced by a live digital video school bus violation detection monitoring system shall follow the procedures established in chapter 41.1 of this title, chapter 8-18 of the general laws and the rules promulgated by the chief magistrate of the traffic tribunal for the hearing of civil traffic violations in the traffic tribunal. Provided, that in an action brought pursuant to the provisions of this chapter, references in chapter 31-41.1 to an "operator" shall apply to the registered owner of the vehicle. A summons may be issued by an officer solely based on evidence obtained by use of a live digital video school bus violation detection monitoring system. All summonses issued based on evidence obtained from a live digital video school bus violation detection monitoring system shall be issued within ten (10) days of the violation. Notwithstanding any provisions of the general laws to the contrary, exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide any violation under this chapter shall be with the traffic tribunal.
(b) It shall be sufficient to commence a prosecution based on evidence obtained from a live digital video school bus violation detection monitoring system. A copy of the summons and supporting documentation shall be mailed to the address of the registered owner kept on file by the registry of motor vehicles. For purposes of this section, the date of issuance shall be the date of mailing.
(c) The officer issuing the citation shall certify under penalties of perjury that the evidence obtained from the live digital video school bus violation detection monitoring system was sufficient to demonstrate a violation of the motor vehicle code. Such certification shall be sufficient in all prosecutions pursuant to this chapter to justify the entry of a default judgment upon sufficient proof of actual notice in all cases where the citation is not answered within the time period permitted.
(d) The summons shall contain all the information provided for on the uniform summons as referred to in § 31-41.1-1 of the general laws and the rules of procedure promulgated by the chief magistrate of the traffic tribunal as well as the date, time, and location of the violation. In addition, the following information shall be attached to or accompany the summons:
(1) Copies of two (2) or more photographs, or microphotographs, videos, or other recorded images taken as proof of the violation;
(2) A signed statement certified under the penalties of perjury by a trained law enforcement officer that, based on inspection of recorded images and video, the motor vehicle was being operated in violation of this chapter;
(3) A signed statement that recorded images are evidence of a violation of this chapter;
(4) A statement that the person who receives the summons under this chapter may either pay the civil fine in accordance with the provisions of § 31-51-2.2, proceed under subdivision 31-51-5(c)(3) of this section, or elect to stand trial for the alleged violation;
(5) A signed affidavit by a person who witnessed the motor vehicle being operated in violation of this chapter; and
(6) A signed statement certified under the penalties of perjury by a trained law enforcement officer that the summons and attachments required under this subsection were mailed to the address of the registered owner kept on file by the registry of motor vehicles.
(e) Any summons issued pursuant to this chapter shall be issued by a law enforcement officer authorized to issue a traffic violation summons pursuant to title 31 of the general laws.
(P.L. 2008, ch. 118, § 1; P.L. 2010, ch. 239, § 33; P.L. 2011, ch. 105, § 1; P.L. 2011, ch. 107, § 1.)