§ 31-8-4. Suspension or revocation of registration or certificate of title.
(a) The division of motor vehicles is authorized to suspend or revoke the registration of a vehicle or a certificate of title, registration card, or registration plate, or any nonresident or other permit, in any of the following events:
(1) When the division of motor vehicles is satisfied that the registration or that the certificate, card, plate, or permit was fraudulently or erroneously issued;
(2) When the division of motor vehicles determines that a registered vehicle is mechanically unfit or unsafe to be operated or moved upon the highways;
(3) When a registered vehicle has been dismantled or wrecked;
(4) When the division of motor vehicles determines that the required fee has not been paid and the fee is not paid upon reasonable notice and demand;
(5) When a registration plate or permit is knowingly displayed upon a vehicle other than the one for which issued;
(6) When the division of motor vehicles determines that the owner has committed any offense under chapters 3 9 of this title involving the registration or the certificate, card, plate, or permit to be suspended or revoked;
(7) When the division of motor vehicles is so authorized under any other provision of law; or
(8) Upon receipt of notice the carrier and/or operator of a commercial motor vehicle has violated or is not in compliance with 49 C.F.R. 386.72 or 49 C.F.R. 390.5 et seq. of the motor carrier safety regulations or chapter 23 of this title.
(b) Upon removal of cause for which the registration or certificate of title was revoked, denied, or suspended, the division of motor vehicles shall require the registrant or applicant to pay a restoration fee of two hundred and fifty dollars ($250), provided that no restoration fee shall be required if the revocation, denial, or suspension was issued pursuant to subsection (a)(2) of this section, §§ 31-38-2, 31-38-3, 31-38-4, or 31-47.1-3.
(P.L. 1950, ch. 2595, art. 13, § 5; P.L. 1952, ch. 2937, § 6; G.L. 1956, § 31-8-5; G.L. 1956, § 31-8-4; P.L. 1971, ch. 101, § 1; P.L. 1996, ch. 382, § 1; P.L. 2000, ch. 275, § 1; P.L. 2009, ch. 5, art. 9, § 2; P.L. 2018, ch. 47, art. 8, § 4.)