§ 34-18-8 Exclusions from application of chapter.
Unless the parties expressly agree to be governed by the provisions of this chapter, the following arrangements are not governed by this chapter:
(1) Residence at an institution, public or private, if incidental to detention or the provision of medical, geriatric, educational, counseling, religious, or similar service;
(2) Occupancy under a contract of sale of a dwelling unit or the property of which it is a part, if the occupant is the purchaser or a person who succeeds to his or her interest;
(3) Occupancy by a member of a fraternal or social organization in the portion of a structure operated for the benefit of the organization;
(4) Transient occupancy in a hotel, motel, or other lodging as defined under § 44-18-7(11), which is subject to the state sales and use tax, or lodgings tax as allowed by state enabling legislation;
(5) Occupancy by a paid employee of a landlord, whose right to occupancy is conditional upon employment substantially for services, maintenance, or repair of premises containing more than eleven (11) units;
(6) Occupancy by a holder of a proprietary lease in a cooperative;
(7) Commercial letting and any other estate governed by chapter 18.1 of this title;
(8) Residence at a transitional housing facility.
(P.L. 1986, ch. 200, § 2; P.L. 1992, ch. 87, § 1; P.L. 2003, ch. 210, § 1; P.L. 2003, ch. 301, § 1.)