§ 35-1.1-2. Establishment of the office of management and budget.
There is hereby established within the department of administration an office of management and budget. This office shall serve as the principal agency of the executive branch of state government for managing budgetary functions, performance management, internal audit, and federal grants management. In this capacity, the office shall:
(1) Establish an in-depth form of data analysis within and between departments and agencies, creating a more informed process for resource allocation to best meet the needs of Rhode Island citizens;
(2) Identify federal grant funding opportunities to support the governor's and general assembly's major policy initiatives and provide technical assistance with the application process and post-award grants management;
(3) Analyze federal budgetary issues and report on potential impacts to the state;
(4) Coordinate the budget functions of the state with performance management objectives;
(5) Maximize efficiencies in departments, agencies, advisory councils, and instrumentalities of the state by improving processes and prioritizing programs;
(6) Be responsible for the internal audit function of state government and conduct audits of any state department, state agency, or private entity that is a recipient of state funding or state grants; provide management advisory and consulting services; or conduct investigations relative to the financial affairs or the efficiency of management, or both, of any state department or agency.
(P.L. 2012, ch. 241, art. 4, § 5; P.L. 2016, ch. 142, art. 4, § 7.)