Public Finance

Accounts and Control

SECTION 35-6-40

§ 35-6-40. Payment of small claims against state in motor vehicle cases.

Whenever any person has sustained injury to his or her person or damage to his or her property by reason of the negligent operation by any officer or employee of the state of a motor vehicle or other motorized equipment owned by the state, the person may file a claim for the injury or damage with the director of the department in which the state officer or employee is employed. If the director, after proper investigation of the facts, shall determine that the claim is proper, he or she may, with the approval of the attorney general and the director of administration, allow the claim, in whole or in part, but in no case in excess of one hundred dollars ($100), and the controller, upon receiving notice of the allowance, shall draw his or her order upon the general treasurer for the payment of such a sum as shall be allowed to the persons entitled thereto.

History of Section.
(P.L. 1941, ch. 1071, § 1; impl. am. P.L. 1951, ch. 2727, art. 1, § 3; G.L. 1956, § 35-6-40.)