§ 36-12-2.1 Health insurance benefits Coverage for abortions excluded.
(a) The state of Rhode Island or any city or town shall not include in any health insurance contracts, plans, or policies covering employees, any provision which shall provide coverage for induced abortions (except where the life of the mother would be endangered if the fetus were carried to term, or where the pregnancy resulted from rape or incest). This section shall be applicable to all contracts, plans or policies of:
(1) All health insurers subject to title 27;
(2) All group and blanket health insurers subject to title 27;
(3) All nonprofit hospital, medical, surgical, dental, and health service corporations;
(4) All health maintenance organizations; and
(5) Any provision of medical, hospital, surgical, and funeral benefits and of coverage against accidental death or injury when the benefits or coverage are incidental to or part of other insurance authorized by the statutes of this state.
(b) Provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to benefits provided under existing collective bargaining agreements entered into prior to June 30, 1982.
(c) Nothing contained herein shall be construed to pertain to insurance coverage for complications as the result of an abortion.
(P.L. 1981, ch. 290, § 1; P.L. 1983, ch. 262, § 1.)