§ 37-15.1-9. Duties of the department.
In addition to the foregoing, the department shall:
(1) Serve as the coordinating agency between the various industry organizations seeking to aid in the hard-to-dispose material and recycling efforts;
(2) Recommend to the governing bodies of all local governments that they adopt ordinances consistent with the provisions of this chapter;
(3) Cooperate with all local governments to accomplish coordination of local hard-to-dispose material and recycling efforts;
(4) Encourage, organize, and coordinate all voluntary local hard-to-dispose material and recycling campaigns seeking to focus the attention of the public on the programs of this state to control and remove hard-to-dispose material, and to foster recycling;
(5) Investigate the availability of, and apply for funds available from any private or public source to be used in the program outlined in this chapter;
(6) Develop statewide programs to increase public awareness of and participation in recycling, and to encourage community recycling centers, public participation in recycling and research and development in the field of hard-to-dispose material, and recycling, removal, and disposal of litter-related recycling materials;
(7) Publish a timetable for the establishment of the state owned and operated regional collection centers.
(P.L. 1989, ch. 514, § 1.)