§ 37-15-15. Duties of the department.
In addition to the foregoing, the department shall:
(1) Serve as the coordinating agency between the various industry organizations seeking to aid in the anti litter and recycling efforts;
(2) Recommend to the governing bodies of all local governments that they adopt ordinances consistent with the provisions of this chapter;
(3) Cooperate with all local governments to accomplish coordination of local anti litter and recycling efforts;
(4) Encourage, organize, and coordinate all voluntary local anti litter and recycling campaigns seeking to focus the attention of the public on the programs of this state to control and remove litter and to foster recycling;
(5) Investigate the availability of and apply for funds available from any private or public source to be used in the program outlined in this chapter;
(6) Develop statewide programs to increase public awareness of and participation in recycling and to encourage community recycling centers, public participation in recycling and research and development in the field of litter control, and recycling, removal, and disposal of litter related recycling materials;
(7) Establish a technical assistance program to assist cities and towns in establishing separation recycling programs in conjunction with recycling collection centers to be constructed at state solid waste management facilities.
(P.L. 1984, ch. 251, § 2; P.L. 1986, ch. 522, § 5.)