§ 37-2.5-2. Definitions.
(a) As used in this act, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Energy sector" of Iran means activities to develop, invest in, explore, refine, transfer, purchase or sell petroleum, gasoline, or other refined petroleum products, or natural gas, liquefied natural gas resources or nuclear power in Iran.
(2) "Financial institution" means the term as used in Section 14 of the Iran Sanctions Act of 1996, Section 14 of Pub.L.104-172 (50 U.S.C. 1701 note), as amended.
(3) "Iran" means the government of Iran, and includes the territory of Iran and any other territory or marine area, including the exclusive economic zone and continental shelf, over which the government of Iran claims sovereignty, sovereign rights, or jurisdiction, provided that the government of Iran exercises partial or total control over the area or derives a benefit from economic activity in the area pursuant to international arrangements.
(4) "Person or entity" means any of the following:
(i) A natural person, corporation, company, limited partnership, limited liability partnership, limited liability company, business association, sole proprietorship, joint venture, partnership, society, trust, or any other nongovernmental entity, organization, or group;
(ii) Any governmental entity or instrumentality of a government, including a multilateral development institution, as defined in Section 1701(c)(3) of the International Financial Institutions Act, 22 U.S.C. § 262r(c)(3), as amended; or
(iii) Any parent, successor, subunit, direct or indirect subsidiary, or any entity under common ownership or control with, any entity described in paragraph (i) or (ii).
(5) "State" means the state of Rhode Island and any of its departments or agencies and public agencies, including, but not limited to, any commission, council, board, bureau, committee, institution, or other governmental entity of the executive or judicial branch of this state and the general assembly and any office, board, bureau or commission within or created by the legislative branch.
(6) "Treasurer" means the general treasurer or the department of treasury.
(b) For the purposes of this act, a person engages in investment activities in Iran, if:
(1) The person provides goods or services of twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) or more in the energy sector of Iran, including a person that provides oil or liquefied natural gas tankers, or products used to construct or maintain pipelines used to transport oil or liquefied natural gas, for the energy sector of Iran; or
(2) The person is a financial institution that extends twenty million dollars ($20,000,000) or more in credit to another person, for forty five (45) days or more, if that person will use the credit to provide goods or services in the energy sector in Iran and is identified on a list created pursuant to subsection 37-2.5-3(b) as a person engaging in investment activities in Iran as described in subsection 37-2.5-3(a).
(c) The treasurer shall adopt regulations that reduce the amounts provided for in this subsection if the treasurer determines that such change is permitted or required under Section 202 of the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2010, as amended.
(P.L. 2013, ch. 173, § 2; P.L. 2013, ch. 225, § 2.)