§ 37-2-2 General provisions. (a) This chapter shall be liberally construed and applied to promote its underlying purposes and policies.
(b) The underlying purposes and policies of this chapter are to:
(1) Simplify, clarify, and modernize the law governing purchasing by the state of Rhode Island and its local public agencies;
(2) Permit the continued development of purchasing policies and practices;
(3) Make as consistent as possible the purchasing laws among the various states;
(4) Provide for increased public confidence in the procedures followed in public procurement;
(5) Insure the fair and equitable treatment of all persons who deal with the procurement system of the state;
(6) Provide increased economy in state and public agency procurement activities by fostering effective competition;
(7) Provide safeguards for the maintenance of a procurement system of quality, integrity and highest ethical standards; and
(8) Ensure that a public agency, acting through its existing
internal purchasing function, adheres to the general principles, policies and
practices enumerated herein.
(P.L. 1989, ch. 526, § 2.)