TITLE 37
Public Property and Works

CHAPTER 37-8
Public Buildings

SECTION 37-8-6


§ 37-8-6 "State House" defined – Former state houses – Use of legislative chambers.

Wherever in the statutes of this state the words "State House" are used they shall be construed to mean the building upon the lot bounded by Gaspee, Francis, and Smith Streets in the city of Providence. The building in the city of Newport heretofore used for the purpose of a "state house" shall hereafter be called the Newport County courthouse. The building in Providence heretofore used for the purpose of a "state house" shall hereafter be called the sixth judicial district courthouse. The senate chamber and representatives hall of the State House shall not be used for any other purpose than for meetings of the two houses of the general assembly.

History of Section.
(G.L. 1896, ch. 27, § 1; P.L. 1901, ch. 852, § 4; P.L. 1905, ch. 1228, § 1; G.L. 1909, ch. 36, § 1; P.L. 1918, ch. 1627, § 1; G.L. 1923, ch. 34, § 1; P.L. 1925, ch. 625, § 1; G.L. 1938, ch. 105, § 12; G.L. 1956, § 37-8-6.)