§ 39-6.1-2 General powers of department.
The department is hereby authorized to exercise those powers necessary for the state to qualify for rail service assistance pursuant to the provisions of 49 U.S.C. § 1654 or other applicable federal laws, including authority:
(1) To establish a state plan for rail transportation and local rail services.
(2) To administer and coordinate the state plan.
(3) To provide in the plan for the equitable distribution of federal rail service assistance.
(4) To promote, operate, supervise, and support safe, adequate, and efficient rail services, or to enter into contractual relationships with public or private agencies, persons, or corporations to do so.
(5) To employ sufficient trained and qualified personnel for these purposes.
(6) To maintain adequate programs of investigation, research, promotion, and development in connection with such purposes and to provide for public participation therein.
(7) To provide satisfactory assurances on behalf of the state that such fiscal control and fund accounting procedures will be adopted by the state as may be necessary to assure proper disbursement of and accounting of federal funds paid to the state as rail service assistance.
(8) To comply with the regulation of the secretary of transportation of the United States Department of Transportation affecting federal rail service programs.
(9) To do all things otherwise necessary to maximize federal assistance to the state under 49 U.S.C. § 1654 or other applicable federal laws.
(P.L. 1976, ch. 28, § 1.)