§ 39-6-27.1 Maintenance of way employees in area of double or multiple tracks.
Whenever maintenance of way crews or employees are working in the area of double or multiple railroad tracks, the following safety precautions shall be mandatory:
(1) All trains shall be notified of the location of the crews or employees by mile markers or mile posts by train order.
(2) All trains operating adjacent to such a work area shall reduce speed to freight train speed, not to exceed fifty (50) miles per hour.
(3) One member of the crew shall be assigned as a flag person to warn of approaching trains and shall be equipped with a radio, horn, and flag.
(4) No work shall be conducted and all employees shall stand clear while a train is approaching, passing, and clearing a work area.
(5) Failure by the railroad company to issue information by train order, which results in any violation of the above requirements, will subject the railroad company to a fine of five hundred dollars ($500) for each violation. The fine will be collected by the public utilities commission and remitted to the general fund of the state.
(P.L. 1988, ch. 183, § 1; P.L. 1989, ch. 104, § 1.)