§ 4-12-16. Beekeeping advisory board.
(a) A beekeeping advisory board shall be established.
(b) The board shall consist of six (6) members appointed for terms as indicated:
(1) The president of the Rhode Island beekeeping association (1 year).
(2) Two (2) members from the Rhode Island beekeeping association appointed by that organization's president (3 years).
(3) One member of the Rhode Island fruit growers association appointed by that organization's president (3 years).
(4) One member from the Rhode Island agriculture council appointed by that organization's president (1 year).
(5) One at large member who is knowledgeable in beekeeping appointed by the director of the department of environmental management (1 year).
(c) The president of the Rhode Island agricultural council shall serve as ex-officio member.
(d) The initial terms of those members appointed for three (3) years shall be staggered so as to ensure that no more than one third ( 1 / 3 ) of these members will be appointed during a given year. Members shall serve without compensation.
(e) The advisory board shall serve in an advisory capacity to the director of environmental management in all aspects of beekeeping as it relates to the control and elimination of honey bee diseases and pests, inspection of apiaries and establishment of internal and external quarantines as outlined in this chapter.
(f) The board will advise the director on policies, procedures, and regulations designed to strengthen the beekeeping industry within the state so as to make the state self sufficient in the area of pollination required to support the state's agricultural industry.
(g) The advisory board shall meet with the director of the department of environmental management quarterly and at any other times as requested by the director.
(P.L. 1989, ch. 495, § 2.)