§ 4-13-1.2 Definitions.
(1) "Board" means the rabies control board.
(2) "Department" means the department of environmental management or its successor.
(3) "Director" means the director of the department of environmental management (or its successor) or his or her designee.
(4) "Division" means the division of agriculture.
(5) "Guardian" means a person(s) having the same rights and responsibilities as an owner or keeper, and the terms may be used interchangeably. A guardian shall also mean a person who possesses, has title to or an interest in, harbors or has control, custody or possession of an animal and who is responsible for an animal's safety and well-being.
(6) "Livestock" means domesticated animals which are commonly held in moderate contact with humans which include, but are not limited to, cattle, bison, equines, sheep, goats, llamas, and swine.
(7) "Owner or keeper" means any person or agency keeping, harboring or having charge or control of or responsibility for control of an animal or any person or agency which permits any dog, cat, ferret, or domestic animal to habitually be fed within that person's yard or premises. This term shall not apply to veterinary facilities, any licensed boarding kennel, municipal pound, pet shop, or animal shelter.
(8) "Person" means an individual, firm, joint stock company, partnership, association, private or municipal corporation, trust, estate, state, commission, political subdivision, any interstate body, the federal government or any agency or subdivision of the federal government, other government entity, or other legal entity.
(9) "Pets" means domesticated animals kept in close contact with humans, which include, but may not be limited to dogs, cats, ferrets, equines, llamas, goats, sheep, and swine.
(10) "Quarantine" means the removal, isolation, the close confinement or related measures of an animal under conditions and for time periods that are set by regulation of the board.
(11) "Tether" means the practice of fastening a dog to a stationary object or stake by a chain, rope or other tethering device as a means of keeping the dog under control. A dog being walked on a leash is not tethered.
(P.L. 1992, ch. 353, § 1; P.L. 1995, ch. 388, § 1; P.L. 1998, ch. 441, § 10; P.L. 2001, ch. 72, § 4; P.L. 2012, ch. 301, § 1; P.L. 2012, ch. 358, § 1.)