§ 4-18-2 Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter:
(1) "Animal" means any wild animal or bird specified under the provisions of § 4-18-3.
(2) "Approved quarantine facility" means a facility approved by the department for the quarantine confinement of imported animals.
(3) "Department" means the Rhode Island department of environmental management.
(4) "Euthanasia" means the human destruction of an animal accomplished by a method that involves instantaneous unconsciousness and immediate death or by a method that involves anesthesia, produced by an agent which causes painless loss of consciousness, and death during that loss of consciousness.
(5) "Housing facility" means any room, building, or area used to contain a primary enclosure or enclosures during the required period of quarantine.
(6) "Person" means any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, business trust, corporation, or company.
(7) "Primary enclosure" means any structure used to immediately restrict an animal or animals to a limited amount of space, such as a room, pen, run, cage, or compartment within the quarantine facility.
(8) "Primate" means a nonhuman member of the highest order of mammals, including prosimians, monkeys, and apes as specified in § 4-18-3.
(9) "Standards" means the requirements with respect to the quarantine housing, handling, care, treatment, and transportation of imported animals.
(10) "Veterinarian" means a person authorized to practice veterinary medicine in Rhode Island.
(P.L. 1971, ch. 58, § 1.)