§ 4-19-1. Purpose.
The purpose of this chapter is:
(1) To protect the owners of dogs and cats from the sale or use of stolen pets;
(2) To ensure that all warm-blooded, vertebrate animals, in the care of facilities licensed or registered under this chapter, are provided humane care and treatment by regulating the transportation, sale, purchase, housing, care, handling, and treatment of these animals by persons or organizations engaged in transporting, handling, housing, and care of these animals;
(3) To ensure that animals confined in pet shops, kennels, animal shelters, auction markets, breeding facilities, and pounds are provided humane care and treatment;
(4) To release for sale, trade, or adoption only those animals that appear to be free of infection, communicable disease, or abnormalities, unless veterinary care subsequent to release is assured; and
(5) To ensure the spaying and neutering of dogs and cats that are adopted from a releasing agency.
(P.L. 1972, ch. 46, § 1; P.L. 1993, ch. 24, § 1; P.L. 2016, ch. 488, § 1; P.L. 2016, ch. 490, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 447, § 1; P.L. 2017, ch. 475, § 1.)