§ 4-26-2 Findings.
The general assembly hereby finds that:
(1) Livestock is the core of dairy and livestock farming in Rhode Island.
(2) The care and management of livestock are important to the profitability of Rhode Island farms and the maintenance of Rhode Island's working landscape.
(3) There exists in this state a demand for safe, locally produced food.
(4) Livestock raised on Rhode Island farms offers profit potential and economic opportunity for Rhode Island producers.
(5) Livestock deserve a safe, healthy and humane environment that ensures protection from unnecessary or unjustifiable pain.
(6) The state would benefit from a diverse body charged with making policy recommendations to the department regarding livestock care.
(7) It is the intent of this legislation to assure the continued success of livestock and dairy farming in Rhode Island and the continuance of a safe, local food supply.
(P.L. 2012, ch. 368, § 1; P.L. 2012, ch. 381, § 1.)