§ 40.1-24.5-12 Duties of the mental health advocate.
The mental health advocate shall perform the following duties:
(1) Review periodically the procedures established by community residences to carry out the provisions of this chapter.
(2) Review grievances of residents filed according to the provisions of the resident grievance procedure delineated in § 40.1-24.5-8 of this chapter in order to insure that grievances have been fairly resolved in a timely fashion.
(3) Investigate and report to the director of mental health, retardation, and hospitals and/or the director of the community residence any occurrences, conditions, or practices with respect to procedure, personnel, or policy which reflect inadequacies with reference to provisions of this chapter.
(4) Assist any resident to obtain needed assistance concerning problems not related to the provisions of this chapter by referring such persons to appropriate lawyer referral services, public or private, depending upon the resident's ability to pay, and assist the residents in the preparation and transmission of correspondence, forms, and other communications.
(5) To take such action as he or she deems appropriate to protect the rights of residents including, but not limited to, programs of public education, legislative advocacy, and formal legal action.
(P.L. 1982, ch. 363, § 1.)