§ 40-14.1-2. Assistive technology services.
Services, which may be provided eligible persons if not available from other sources, include assistive technology services and devices. For the purposes of this chapter, "assistive technology services" shall mean any service that directly assists an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. Services shall include:
(1) The evaluation of the needs of an individual with a disability, including a functional evaluation of the individual in the individual's customary environment;
(2) Purchasing, leasing, or otherwise providing for the acquisition of assistive technology devices by individuals with disabilities;
(3) Selecting, designing, fitting, customizing, adapting, applying, maintaining, repairing, or replacing of assistive technology devices;
(4) Coordinating of resources and services related to assistive technology devices;
(5) Training or technical assistance for an individual with disabilities, or, where appropriate, the family of an individual with disabilities; and
(6) Training or technical assistance for professionals (including individuals providing education and rehabilitation services), employers, or other individuals who provide services to, employ, or are otherwise substantially involved in the major life functions of individuals with disabilities. For the purpose of this chapter, "assistive technology device" means any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially, off the shelf, modified or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
(P.L. 1990, ch. 417, § 1.)