The Rhode Island Works Program
R.I. Gen. Laws § 40-5.2-34
§ 40-5.2-34. Screening for domestic violence — Waiver of program requirements.
(a) The department shall:
(1) Screen and identify individuals with a history of domestic violence applying for or receiving assistance while maintaining the confidentiality of such individuals;
(2) Refer these individuals to counseling and supportive services; and
(3) Waive, pursuant to a determination of good cause and for so long as necessary, cash assistance program requirements relating to time limits for individuals receiving assistance, residency requirements, child support cooperation requirements, and work requirements, in cases where compliance with these requirements would make it more difficult for individuals receiving assistance under this chapter to escape domestic violence or unfairly penalize individuals who are or have been victimized by domestic violence, or individuals who are at risk of further domestic violence.
(b) For purposes of this section, the term "individual with a history of domestic violence" means an individual who has been subjected to:
(1) Physical acts that resulted in, or threatened to result in, physical injury to the individual;
(2) Sexual abuse;
(3) Sexual activity involving a dependent child;
(4) Being forced as the caretaker relative of a dependent child to engage in nonconsensual sexual acts or activities;
(5) Threats of, or attempts at, physical or sexual abuse;
(6) Mental abuse; or
(7) Neglect or deprivation of medical care.
History of Section.
P.L. 2008, ch. 100, art. 16, § 1.