§ 42-11-2.7. Office of diversity, equity and opportunity established.
(a) The office of diversity, equity and opportunity (ODEO) shall be established as a division within the department of administration. The purpose of the office shall be to ensure non-discrimination, diversity, equity, and equal opportunity in all aspects of state government, including, but not limited to, employment, procurement, policy and practices relative to state programs, services, and activities.
(b) The head of this division shall be known as the associate director of ODEO, who shall be appointed by the director of administration, in the classified service of the state, and shall be responsible to, and report to, the director. The associate director of ODEO shall oversee the ODEO in all aspects, including, but not limited to, coordination of the provisions of chapter 37-14.1 (minority business enterprise) and chapter 28-5.1 (equal opportunity and affirmative action) wherein the ODEO shall have direct administrative supervision of the state's equal opportunity office.
(c) ODEO shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
(1) Develop, administer, implement, and maintain a statewide diversity plan and program, including an equity, equal-opportunity, minority business enterprise, and supplier-diversity program, as well as other related plans and programs within the office;
(2) Provide leadership in the development and coordination of recruitment and retention activities in order to promote diversity and encourage the use of bias-free methods and practices in the hiring process, performance reviews, and promotions, and to ensure compliance with applicable federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and policies;
(3) Support the growth and development of the state's minority business enterprise program by engaging in concerted outreach programs to build relationships, maintaining effective programs to promote minority business enterprise utilization, and facilitating minority business enterprise in State procurement activities;
(4) Develop, coordinate, and oversee the recruitment, selection, and retention efforts and initiatives to promote and achieve the state's diversity goals and objectives, developing and recommending recruitment strategies, and assisting with special recruitment efforts directed toward ethnic minorities, women, and other underrepresented groups; and
(5) Provide leadership in advancing management's understanding, capacity, and accountability for embedding diversity and equity in employment and human resource management practices as an integral part of the state's employment opportunities.
(d) The director of administration may promulgate rules and regulations recommended by the associate director in order to effectuate the purposes and requirements of this act.
(P.L. 2016, ch. 142, art. 4, § 2.)