§ 42-12.2-2 Definitions.
(a) "Center for independent living" means a program of services or a facility which offers a combination of independent living services for individuals with significant disabilities or groups of individuals with significant disabilities such as, but not limited to:
(1) Intake counseling to determine the individual with significant disabilities need for specific independent living services;
(2) Referrals and counseling services with respect to attendant care;
(3) Counseling and advocacy services with respect to legal and economic rights and benefits;
(4) Peer counseling;
(5) Independent living skills, counseling and training, including training in the maintenance of necessary equipment, counseling on therapy needs and programs, and special independent living skill training for individuals who are blind or deaf;
(6) Housing and transportation referral and assistance;
(7) Surveys, directories, and other activities to identify appropriate housing and accessible transportation and other support services;
(8) Community group living arrangements;
(9) Education and training necessary for living in the community and participating in community activities;
(10) Individual and group social and recreational activities;
(11) Other programs and services necessary to provide resources, training, counseling services, or other assistance of substantial benefit in promoting the independence, productivity, and quality of life for individuals with significant disabilities.
(b) "Client directed services" means services that are planned and delivered with the active involvement of the client (consumer).
(c) "Consumer" means a person or groups of persons with severe disabilities who are or would be capable of independently managing and directing their own lives given the appropriate training and resources.
(d) "Consumer directed organization" means:
(1) An organization with substantial involvement of consumers on its boards of directors and at the staff level;
(2) An organization which subscribes rigorously to a policy of client directed services.
(e) "Nonprofit organization" means an organization incorporated in the state of Rhode Island and exempt from federal taxation under the provisions of § 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, 26 U.S.C. § 501(c)(3).
(f) "Individual with a significant disability" means an individual with a severe physical or mental impairment whose ability to function independently in the family or community or whose ability to obtain, maintain, or advance in employment is substantially limited and for whom the delivery of independent living services will improve the ability to function, continue functioning, or move towards functioning independently in the family or community or to continue in employment, respectively.
(P.L. 1983, ch. 257, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 55, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 107, § 1.)