§ 42-26-13 Committee created Purpose and composition. (a) There is hereby created within the Rhode Island justice commission pursuant to the provisions of § 42-26-7 of this chapter the criminal justice oversight committee for the purpose of maintaining the secure facilities at the adult correctional institutions within their respective population capacities as established by court order, consent decree or otherwise.
(b) The criminal justice oversight committee (hereinafter referred to as the "committee") shall consist of the following members who shall assemble no less than four (4) times annually or more often at the call of the chairperson or upon petition of a majority of its members:
(1) The presiding justice of the superior court;
(2) The chief judge of the district court;
(3) The attorney general;
(4) The public defender;
(5) The superintendent of state police;
(6) The director of the department of corrections;
(7) The chairperson of the parole board;
(8) The executive director of the Rhode Island justice commission;
(9) A member of the governor's staff selected by the governor;
(10) Four (4) members of the general assembly, one of whom shall be appointed by the speaker and one of whom shall be appointed by the president of the senate, one of whom shall be appointed by the house minority leader and one of whom shall be appointed by the senate minority leader.
(11) A qualified elector of this state who shall be appointed by the governor and designated as chairperson of the committee.
(12) A member of the Victims' Rights Group, appointed by the speaker of the house.
Each member of the committee may appoint a permanent designee
to attend committee meetings in his/her absence. A quorum at meetings of the
committee shall consist of a majority of its current membership.
(P.L. 1993, ch. 108, § 1; P.L. 1999, ch. 31, art. 11, § 2; P.L. 2001, ch. 180, § 101; P.L. 2007, ch. 340, § 26.)