§ 42-35-5 Compilation and publication of rules. (a) The secretary of state shall be the codifier of the rules of state agencies. The secretary of state may assign numbers to any rule in order to develop and maintain a comprehensive system of codification. The number shall be the official administrative code number of the rule. Any number so assigned shall be published in any publication of the Rhode Island administrative code. Rules of the Rhode Island administrative code shall be cited and referred to by their official numbers.
(b) The secretary of state, on or before July 1, 1994, shall publish the full text of all rules promulgated by agencies pursuant to this chapter. The secretary of state shall publish by reference all orders of state agencies pursuant to this chapter except orders of the human rights commission, including in the publication by reference the address and phone number where the orders may be obtained by the public.
(c) In accordance with the provisions of this chapter, the secretary of state will publish the Rhode Island administrative code which code shall:
(1) Contain a compilation of the full text of each rule and a reference to each order;
(2) Be divided into volumes to permit the sale of separate volumes;
(3) Contain the full text of each rule adopted after its initial publication and a citation by reference to each order adopted after its publication in supplements to the code published not less than monthly and compiled for insertion in the code not less than annually;
(4) Contain an index of the rules and references to rules that are included in the code and each supplement using terms easily understood by the general public;
(5) Be published in loose-leaf form and in any other form the secretary of state deems appropriate following, to the extent possible, the subject matter arrangement of the Rhode Island general laws;
(6) Be renumbered according to the numbering system devised by the secretary of state.
(7) The secretary of state is not obligated to publish any rule or regulation which has become void.
(d) The secretary of state may approve as acceptable a commercial publication of the code which conforms to all of the provisions of this section. If the secretary of state does not approve of a commercial publication of the code, the secretary of state shall prepare and publish the code, or contract with any person under this section to prepare and publish the code. Any code published by the secretary of state or by any person under a contract let under this section shall include all of the requirements of this section. In addition, the secretary of state shall furnish any volume or issue of the code or supplement to any person who requests the material upon payment of a charge established by the secretary of state, not to exceed the cost of publication and handling.
(2) Upon the request of the secretary of state, the director
of administration shall advertise and accept competitive bids and let a
contract for the compilation and printing of the Rhode Island administrative
code and supplements between the secretary of state and the person able to
perform the contract at the lowest cost.
(G.L. 1956, § 42-35-5; P.L. 1962, ch. 112, § 1; P.L. 1986, ch. 281, § 5; P.L. 1989, ch. 238, § 1; P.L. 2001, ch. 61, § 1.)