§ 42-75-7. Duties of commission.
The duties of the commission shall be:
(1) To stimulate and encourage throughout Rhode Island the study and presentation of the performing, visual, and environmental arts and public interest and participation therein;
(2) To survey and assess the needs of the arts throughout Rhode Island and to make recommendations to the general assembly and the governor to encourage the arts so as to meet the legitimate needs and aspirations of the citizens of the state;
(3) To take any steps necessary and appropriate to expand the state's cultural resources and to encourage the growth of local community arts councils;
(4) To encourage and protect freedom of artistic expression in Rhode Island;
(5) To co-operate with the commissioner of elementary and secondary education in all areas in which the arts are applicable to primary and secondary education, including the use of educational television and other media in the promotion and presentation of the arts; and
(6) To coordinate activities among state departments and agencies engaged in the creation and implementation of arts districts. To cooperate with and provide guidance and assistance to municipalities, businesses, nonprofit organizations, citizen groups and individuals in the creation and implementation of arts districts as provided in § 44-18-30.B and to promote arts districts in the state.
(P.L. 1980, ch. 395, § 2; P.L. 2005, ch. 324, § 1; P.L. 2005, ch. 380, § 1.)