§ 45-23-30. General purposes of land development and subdivision review ordinances, regulations and rules.
Land development and subdivision review ordinances, regulations and rules shall be developed and maintained in accordance with this chapter and with a comprehensive plan which complies with chapter 22.2 of this title and a zoning ordinance which complies with § 45-24-27 et seq. Local regulations shall address the following purposes:
(1) Providing for the orderly, thorough and expeditious review and approval of land developments and subdivisions;
(2) Promoting high quality and appropriate design and construction of land developments and subdivisions;
(3) Promoting the protection of the existing natural and built environment and the mitigation of all significant negative impacts of any proposed development on the existing environment;
(4) Promoting design of land developments and subdivisions which are well-integrated with the surrounding neighborhoods with regard to natural and built features, and which concentrate development in areas which can best support intensive use by reason of natural characteristics and existing infrastructure;
(5) Encouraging local design and improvement standards to reflect the intent of the community comprehensive plans with regard to the physical character of the various neighborhoods and districts of the municipality;
(6) Promoting thorough technical review of all proposed land developments and subdivisions by appropriate local officials;
(7) Encouraging local requirements for dedications of public land, impact mitigation, and payment-in-lieu thereof, to be based on clear documentation of needs and to be fairly applied and administered; and
(8) Encouraging the establishment and consistent application of procedures for local record-keeping on all matters of land development and subdivision review, approval and construction.
(P.L. 1992, ch. 385, § 1.)